When is the last time you actually sat down and thought about what it is you truly want in life and who you want to be? As you get caught up in the day-to-day affairs, these things often take a backseat, and years later, you wonder what happened. Taking the time now to define your ideal life can be as simple as creating your own vision board to serve as a daily reminder of your goals and dreams.
What is a Vision Board?
A vision board is a way to display a collection of images and words that represent all the things you want in your life. These inspirational images can be attached to a poster board, corkboard, or anything you choose. The only requirement is that you place your vision board in a location that you will see every day, reminding you of your ideal life.
Why a Vision Board?
A vision board focuses your attention on all the things you want to have in your life, and your attention is the key. You’ve heard the saying that wherever your attention goes, your energy flows, right? This is the concept behind vision boards.
Create Your Own Vision Board
It’s easy to create your own vision board. Just set aside some time and have fun with it.
- Gather Your Supplies: To get started, all you will need is a board of your choice and several different magazines. Brochures, postcards, photographs, internet printouts, and any other type of memorabilia can also be used. You’ll also need scissors and glue.
- Think About What You Want: Before you plunge right in, sit for a few minutes quietly. Ask yourself what it is you want in each area of your life. Visualize what your ideal life looks like.
- Make a List: You may want to write down a list of areas so that you can keep these in mind as you look for images to place on your vision board. This list may include things like travel destinations, house design types, or preferred workspaces. You can also list out general subjects such as House, Car, and Career to remind you of categories to look for.
- Locate Pictures that Represent What You Want to Attract into Your Life. This is your board and no one else’s. Choose photos and images that speak to you, and represent the things and experiences you would like to have in your life. If an image inspires you in some way, cut it out.
- Add the Best Images and Photos to Your Vision Board. This is the time to be selective. You may have several cutouts for your desired career, but which ones more closely represent you and your goals and dreams? For example, if you want to be a singer, find a picture that depicts the type of singing you want to do. This could be a theater stage, a restaurant stage, or a choir section of a church. Follow your own inner guidance as you choose the photos to include. There is no correct way to arrange them on your board. Do your best however not to make it look cluttered. It should be pleasant to look at and not full of distractions and overcrowding.
- Place a Photo of Yourself in the Center. Find a photo of yourself smiling or laughing and place it on your vision board.
- Add Inspirational Quotes and Affirmations. Include various quotes, affirmations, words, and even thoughts that inspire you to your vision board. These should all make you feel good when you read them.
- Place Your Vision Board Where You See It Each Day. By focusing on your own vision board at least once a day, you will be reminded of what you want in your life. These things will stay front of mind, and you will find yourself beginning to take steps toward achieving them in some way.
Your vision board can represent all areas of your life, or you can create different ones for certain areas you wish to focus on more closely. Once you know the basics of creating your own vision board, you can continue to refine it any way you like.
Surrounding yourself with visual reminders of your ideal life helps you focus. Soon you will be pushing away those things that don’t suit you, or just serve as distractions and move more towards your ideal life.